Pure Style: Guest Bedroom


I wanted to share some photos of a guest bedroom I just finished for a client of mine. Her request was for a homey, pretty guest bedroom with natural touches that her mother-in-law would love. This (below) is what it looked like before:

The only items we kept were the oil painting (above the bed) and the duvet cover. I started out with this fabric (below) because the the duvet cover had the tiniest hint of a blue strip in it & the blue flowers in this linen worked perfectly with it.

My upholsterers (who have just started out their business & are AMAZING) created this custom nailhead trim headboard for me with the fabric:

I pulled the aqua out again in linen for the casually elegant drapes & paired them with a light natural woven roman shade & simple rod & rings:
We couldn't resist this contemporary oil painting which had all the colors of our fabrics & added that modern edge the room needed. The accessories on the dresser are different things I found at antique stores & flea markets. (I regret not taking a close up of the adorable iron compote filled with little wooden acorns!- next time- paired with an old tin ceiling tile and some books & candles) The lamp is a porcelain crackle in the aqua.
I took her closet from her to make the bathroom next door larger so we hung these adorable little hooks with painted vintage hangers on them for guests to hang their things. (from Lucketts of course!) ("Don't worry, there's lots of space for guests' clothes in the dresser!" :)
And I almost didn't want to give up these 2 little vintage suitcases!! I found them in Straussburg, VA & they were such a steal!!! Great for extra storage in there... (We usually keep them under the pedestal table to the right of the bed but I had to take them out for pictures- ha!)
And I had to include a little birdie in the room because of the birds in the headboard & because I thought he was great:
The gourd lamps have the roughest burlap shades & I COVET them. In the picture below you can see the oil painting that was once above the bed reframed:
The mirror above the bed reflects the oil painting when you walk in, which always makes me happy. The aqua pillow is the softest courderoy ever & the white furry throw is incredible. (Also from Lucketts... and my husband surprised me with one for Christmas because he knew how much I loved this one!)Well, that's about it. I can't wait to hear what her mother-in-law thinks!!! :)
ps- the "something off" in this room is the painting because its blues are more true than the aquas used in the rest of the room. I worried about it working with the room, but it turned out to be the item I think that makes the room.

27 comments:

LindsB said...

Amazing transformation, I love it!! The fabric on the headboard is beautiful, and the nail head detail is amazing!!

You did a great job, you are an amazing designer!! I cant wait to see so much more of your work!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Lauren I love it!

It's looks amazing and totally your style and taste. I love the suitcases. I was about to buy two at a thrift store this week, but I have no where to put them so sadly I left them behind.

The headboard is amazing. I love all the detail with it.

I'm sure your clients mother in law is going to love it!

Oh and I love those lamps. I was looking for white gourd lamps and couldn't find one I loved so I went with the lamps I had already bought, but those are amazing do they come in white and I love the burlap!!! I'm actually using some burlap in my bedroom re-model as well! I've also been coveting cork lamp shades they are amazing!

Ok I've used the word amazing about a millon times you can see I'm totally in love with this room.

Kristin Hughes Photography said...

Lauren I am loving following your blog! Your work is fantastic. I cant want til I own a place to have you help design :). I absolutely love what you did with this room!

Beth said...

Its sooo you!
love it

Erin Gates said...

Great work!!!!!

Debra said...

I would gladly accept an overnight invitation from your client. There will be many sweet dreams coming from this charming spot.
Thank you for sharing your lovely work.
Debra

Michelle said...

LOve it! The curve of the mirror and the headboard were made for each other :)

No.35style said...

Those lamps are great! I love that nail head detail on the headboard. This room is such a good mix of modern and traditional. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

Thanks so much!! The lamps are from Gallery Designs Lighting. They have a realy cool linen line I got these from.
xoxo,
Lauren

cotedetexas said...

just beautiful! I am dying to know what fabric that is? could you email me the name if you know it????

mrballbox329@aol.com

Unknown said...

Wow, that is an amazing transformation. Well done!!!

Fargerike Dagny said...

Love what you did to the room! Great blog! :)

Unknown said...

Oooh you have the best job in the world! How much fun you must have. Great room. I especially love the hooks on the wall and the way you have turned to dress into a 'work of art'.

Maria Killam said...

Such a beautiful room. Love the lamps and the headboard is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE HEADBOARD!

Windlost said...

What a simple but exquisite room! You have such lovely taste and it was all brought together beautifully! Thanks for visiting my blog - I will be back to visit - often!

I love the headboard and all the things on the dresser most!
xo Terri

Windlost said...

Oh, and the mirror! That was my favorite of all!!

Jenny at LGN said...

Wow! What a beautiful room! I LOVE that linen. Such beautiful colors!

I'm so glad that I saw you blog on No.35 Style. You have such a great eye and I'm excited to keep following your work in the future!

Jenny
littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Your room looks so cozy! Love the lamps, headboard, and vintage suitcases!

xoxo,
Cathleen

Unknown said...

It looks gorgeous! What an incredible transformation.

My Notting Hill said...

Love this room! The headboard fabric is great. You've also motivated me to head out to Lucketts soon.

Pretty Little Things for Home & Life said...

Very cute. Reminds me of a fantastic B &B. Very comfortable and welcoming

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey!
I want to move in!!! It is so well done!!! and I am so proud of you how AMAZING your blog looks!!!
xooxoxoxoxoxxo
Eddie

Living the life in The Little City said...

Oh, wow, what a nice change. Love your blog.

Unknown said...

What is the fabulous fabric on the headboard? Who makes it? I'm dying to know. Loving your blog by the way and just added a link on mine.

Devon said...

I remember loving this room when it first popped up on my Google Reader. And I still love, love, love it. Such great work Lauren!

J @ The Look 4 Less said...

This room is gorgeous!