Our Nature Box

I'm back from a whirlwind week of work & packing for our move! We leave our house Saturday and I'm bittersweet about it. 
 
We've been trying to take some time to enjoy our house as much as possible before we move & one of our favorite things to do is to take walks & spend time outside.  The boys & I have been working on filling up our "nature box" which is actually an old printer's tray:
 
 
 
 
We love coming home from walks & trips to display our finds in the nature box.  Some of the finds are from our beach trips this Summer & Spring, while most are from around our neighborhood.
 

 
Lately, we've been starting to see the acorns!! (yay Fall!! :)
Some are still green & a few are brown.  The seed pods are so pretty too in their own way.
 
I don't know the names of half of the stuff in the box, but of course we have our own names for our finds.  When we get our books set up at the new house, we'll look them up the old-fashioned way.
(I.e. "spikey balls" -  below)

 
The boys often come home with pretty little stones to add to the boxes.

{What are these green crazy things we found on a tree??!!!  seeds pods??  love them!}

Anyway, I hope you've been having a great week!  We have so much going on right now & it's starting to make me a little nutty in the head.  I'm forgetting things left & right and I can't seem to keep anything straight.  I am so excited about everything and, emotionally, I'm totally fine, but it's my brain that's going! :)  I'll be back as soon as I can to share pics on the DEMO going on over at our new place!!



If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

21 comments:

pve design said...

Lauren,
I love you and your nutty head and all your trappings from nature.
good luck with the move.....
pve

Courtney said...

I love the idea of a nature box! I might have to borrow this concept for my 2 year old daughter and husband who love to bring home treasures from walks :) Thanks for sharing!

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

Can't wait to see your new home!!

XO,

Kristy
www.idesignlove.com

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

helicopters?? such a good mom you are - what a great idea!

Amy said...

1. "Spikey balls" are the seed pods from Sweet Gum Trees

2. The crazy green things are the seeds from an Ash tree (technically called winged samaras and the same type of fruit as maple trees - you know, the 'helicopters').

Looking forward to all of the new decorating adventures to come. Love your style!

Lumen Drops said...

With three young boys, one being a baby, a move, wouldn't have expected a check-in, Lauren, but am grateful to see the nature box. You are the closest thing I've witnessed to a super woman, but take it easy, let it just flow. Recall a wise saying: "It's not what comes but how we respond to it." Everything will work out as it should. Best.

Diane said...

What a great idea for displaying natural treasures -- looks like you have a fun collection going there! Our older son used to call the top of the acorns "party hats" :) Nice to get close to nature, especially with your children. It's very calming, a feeling I'm sure you appreciate these days!

Brooke said...

What a pretty idea; I love it!! Best of luck with the move! I'm super excited to see your new place!

Windlost said...

Oh, I love that. I think of you when I see Nature-y decor now. :)

xo Terri

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Beatiful. Now I know what I need to display all the nature/rocks our six year old daughter collects by the hundreds:)

Cailan said...

What a fantastic idea! I am definitely going to be on the lookout for a box :)

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Lauren- Love the spikey balls! When my husband and I were first married we gathered them up to decorate our tree...

Best Wishes on a smooth move - that's a lot on your plate. Are you moving into a house with demo going on there??? Yikes!!! (Or will it be all done when you get there...) Wow - I can't wait to see what you've done!

Loretta

Anonymous said...

I simply love the color! Nice one...

Dawn said...

We do the exact same thing with a printer's tray I've had since I was a little girl. I even still have some of the little rocks and things I had in there back then. It's fun recreating this tradition with my boys. Thanks for sharing!

Rie said...

Love the nature box idea! You might want to watch the acorns carefully. Everytime we've collected acorns for indoors, they developed little white worms within a few days. YUCK. Just a warning. ;)

Shorely Chic said...

i LOVE type trays, we have one hanging on our wall filled with our seashell collection -- hang in there and remember, wine is your friend!

Liz

My Little Bungalow said...

Good for you for taking your boys outside. Sometimes I feel that too few families are doing that nowadays. It's so important for children to be connected to the natural world and develop a love and respect for it. Your nature box is a lovely idea! Oh, and the spiky balls are from a gum tree. I love that you are going to use books to look up the other things!! Thumbs-up for instilling good habits.

Claudia

Karen H. said...

I have an old printers tray laying around and I have never thought of using it as a nature box. What a great idea!

Sarah said...

I have one of these that I don't have up only because I'm not a fan of the honey stain color. Did you paint yours? I love the color!

Mar gar et said...

Spikey balls? They're gum balls from the Sweetgum tree. They make great holiday wreaths.

Olivia said...

love the nature box, so cute!