What is up?!

Things have been a little crazy lately although I now realize I don't think it'll ever be any other way. ;)  I wanted to share a picture taken by Helen a few weeks ago in my client's recently finished dining room and also just give you a quick update on where things are at with me.

{Photo by Helen Noman, flowers by Holly Chapple}

I am gaga for the thistle in this arrangement. 

And...  I can't get over how time is flying right now.  I'm pregnant with our 3rd baby and have about two more months to go and we've got so much to get done before then!!  The baby part will take its course but the work &getting-the-house-in-order-part doesn't.  I'm planning on finishing up the nursery before the baby arrives (unlike last time.) 

Things have been changing a lot at work. (One thing I've learned is that when you run your own company, things never stop changing.)   We have a new intern, Alexa, who is such a sweetheart & is really helping out a lot.  We've been busy with photographing projects and we really have an amazing group of clients that I feel so lucky to know.  I get more & more excited every day about our projects.  My design assistant, Meghan (who never lets me take her picture which is why you won't see her much on here!!) is doing an amazing job keeping projects running smoothly even though she has soooo much on her plate.  We run around like madwomen all day long and it seems there are never enough hours but that's the way it needs to be to get it all done.  (or try to ;) 

Keeping up with emails has been a challenge & I apologize if anyone emailed & I didn't respond.  Please just resend if it's been too long.  I am so sorry.

I found out a few weeks ago that we weren't selected to be in the DC Design House this year (bummer) but as my grandmother reminded me...  When I was 9 years old and didn't make it in the school talent show for dancing with my best friends (The Blondie Bunch) to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (apparently the song was too risque??) I said, "Everyone needs to get rejected every once in a while."  :)   hahahahah 

{image from here}

But I do think it's so true...  We don't get everything we go after and the rejections teach us things about ourselves & about situations.   I think they prepare us for our future victories & make us stronger.   And I know the showhouse will be a great one this year!

On another note...  My lovely kankles have started to arrive already on busy days.   They aren't awful yet but I know it's coming. I'm disappointed because this is waaaay sooner than I had swollen ankles during my last pregnancy (and I didn't even have them with my first) but I guess I'm running around way more now than I was then with 2 kids and a busier work schedule.  I can't wait to wear skirts & shorts this Spring to show off my new kankles!!  meoooooooow 

{safely hidden kankles but the belly is grooooowing}

My boys are so good to me & can't wait to meet the new baby.  Dave has been amazing and even 2 year old Justin rubs my back.  (Not really, it's like 3 seconds but it melts my heart.  When he's finished he says, "It's good?")

Other than that there are a few things brewing around here that I am CRAZY EXCITED about and will share as soon as I can.   I hope you had a great weekend and -ps- can you believe it's MARCH ALREADY?!!!!  unreal.  February flew by and that never seems to happen for me. 


xoxo, Lauren

If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

29 comments:

Dana Frieling said...

Love your positive attitude, Lauren. BTW, you don't even look pregnant in that photo!

crisangsteninteriors.com said...

February flew by waaaay too fast for me too! I'm also running like a madwoman on projects, and I'm not even pregnant! Happy you have a new intern, that should help!

Cailan said...

Disappointed you didn't get the DC room - your room was so lovely last year. However, you have a lovely bright side attitude and all your other projects are just wonderful. Can't wait to see that nursery. ; )

Acquired Objects said...

No matter what is going on in your life, no matter how old you get there are always a hundred balls in the air. I wouldn't have it any other way either! You look wonderful no matter what and boy you look small for seven months!

Enjoy your day!
XX
Debra~

Unknown said...

You really sound great, and you look fabulous! So glad you have 2 helpers for your work in place before #3 comes.. Hey how were your house guests? We had a ball meeting them and bending their cute little ears...
Nancy
http://www.powellbrower.com/2012/03/quintessential-patina-style.html

The enchanted home said...

You are something....love your outlook and attitude!
You look amazing......best of luck.

Tawna said...

I so, so, so appreciate you taking a quick look and replying to my email last week! It filled me with gratitude. Good luck (I have three little ones, and while the pregnancy seemed so much "bigger" I recovered faster on the last one that any of the others) and as always, thanks for your positive outlook and "real" views into life.

If you need anything from Wyoming :).....

Tawna

preppyplayer said...

So true! In my business and life i learn far more from my rejections, disappointments, and failures. It motivates me to try new things, work harder.

Baby yourself a little with this pregnancy...
feet up in the afternoon will help with those cankles :)

Like Me Some said...

So busy and yet you somehow find time to reply and even comment! Can't thank you enough! Your work is amazing and that orange door is fantastic! You made our day :) Congrats and enjoy the mini back rubs!

pve design said...

I too am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. I also think you and your baby come first before any ole designer show house. There will always be others....but maybe not more babies.
Enjoy this time and I hope you will be able to take some time off after the baby arrives.
Pretty flowers.
pve

DecRenew Interiors said...

Thanks for keeping it real my friend. Sounds like you are crazy busy but your attitude will carry you through! Thanks for being a blessing to so many!

Ruthie

Anonymous said...

I know can't believe March is already here. You look fabulous by the way. ;-)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Your interiors are always so inspiring but so is your outlook! So surprised about the showhouse - your room last year was incredible. Just means another huge window is about to open for you that may not have had the show house been on your plate.

Amy @ Five Kinds of Happy said...

I love your winter outfit there! Baby bump or not you look gorgeous. Best wishes for all the craziness! :)
xAmy

Windlost said...

lauren, you would look good in a burlap sack, so i can't imagine that cankles would have much of a negative effect. :)
(love the boots btw).

so glad that alexa and meghan are great. nothing beats a great assistant. i have always been a "back office" kind of person and it just occured to me that i would probably make a better design assistant than a designer. i have lots of inspiration and would like to run the show, but i notice that i thrive in the details and the weeds. like you were saying about rejection, sometimes these things make us learn more about ourselves and i am learning lately that it is okay to be a back room trooper and not always out in front. so it is very nice when you acknowledge your troopers. :) it truly takes a village to get these big projects done.
good luck with the baby!! i can't wait to see her little self.
justin just needs a little more training it sounds like.
xo

Amy@eatsleepdecorate said...

Lauren..you look wonderful! Hopefully you can take a little time to slow down and enjoy that baby coming! I know how it is owning your own business. My husband and I are in real estate and life never slows down! I know you were disappointed in not getting in the DC Design House, but maybe someone was watching out for you...you are doing too much and that would have put even more pressure on you I am sure. There are always more opportunities out there! Especially for a talented designer like you! Best of luck with the rest of the week!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

you are so funny! thanks for keepin' in real:)

Holly Gruszka said...

You look adorable and as long as you can still sport those boots, then forget about those cankles. Ugh, I had cankles with my daughter and they were SO ugly. I still think my feet swell every now and then. Can't wait to hear more about what's going on with your business and projects. Crazy that you only have 2 months to go!!

debra @ 5th and state said...

oh lauren i know that feeling when the months go by in lightening speed, how on earth are you doing it with a thriving biz, 2 children and one on the way!!!???

you go girlfriend!

i am shocked, yes, that's the word, about the dc house. your room was stunning, interesting with miles of depth. your response tells us all how to remain graceful

big hugs
debra

Unknown said...

Look at you! You look wonderful, and soon a Mama of three and a business at full speed! You are rocking!
Just take it a little easy once in a while, a little break, rest, pause, feet up! You'll need your energy to feed the newcomer!
Wishing you all the best!

xoxo Victoria

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Lauren- I can't get over how gorgeous the arrangement with the thistles is. Really beautiful!

Loretta

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

i bet you look dazzling even with the kankles! lol!

PS - wanted to share my post on meeting E&J, mostly because I had to credit you for the intro :)

Bethany

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

oops, forgot the link

http://www.powellbrower.com/2012/03/meeting-eddie-ross.html

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

oops, forgot the link

http://www.powellbrower.com/2012/03/meeting-eddie-ross.html

LindsB said...

I cant believe its March already and you are due so soon!! I cant wait to see what you have up your sleeve for the blog and your business- you are so talented and deserve every positive thing that's coming to you! xoxoxo

Jenny Castle Design said...

First off, you look amazing! Second, I could live with that thistle arrangement every day...it's beautiful!

Lindsay said...

That thistle arrangement is AMAZING! Gorgeous.

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

Congratulations on the pregnancy! How exciting! You look great. And I love your positive attitude about work. I truly believe things happen in life for a reason. :)

carlee {deliciously organized} said...

I haven't been by in a while (very busy wedding planning) but had a chance to catch up. Congrats on the baby!

You're so talented and so positive I'm confident everything will get done in time :)

Have a nice weekend!