Client Inspiration & visiting a friend

Today I'm guest blogging over at my friend Seleta's (@ Simply Seleta) about bringing fresh greens inside.  (shocking, I know...  you never see me doing that.  It comes from a very basic need to stay away from the grocery store or having to get in my car to do anything extra.)


{Seleta's new gallery wall- love!!}

And I also thought I'd share a family room plan I'm working on for a super-sweet client of mine, Sandy.  (Remember her living room, here?)  Well, now we've moved onto the family room.  When I visited them for the family room design presentation, I was greeted with a hysterical (although I'm sure serious :) note written to me on their chalkboard from Sandy's husband, Dave.  It read, "Lauren, be gentle."  As wives & husbands know, decorating budgets are often tricky.  Many of the husbands I work with really just want their wives to be happy and are willing to agree to the plans as long as they're comfortable with the budget.  Other husbands heavily weigh in on the decision-making process.  It's so interesting to me to see how partners come to make design-related decisions together.

My plans are typically driven by fabrics & a general palatte and I thought I'd share Sandy & Dave's with you:


Sandy, Dave, and their daughter Emma want to be able to relax in and really enjoy their family room, which is in their basement.  Sandy currently can't stand being down there, which is where the TV is.  Emma also wants to use the space to hang pit with friends & do homework.  I came up with a plan full of cheerful aquas and a fun mix of patterns to get the space feeling a bit more energetic & happy and to work for both mom & daughter.  The current out-of-date fireplace surround is being replaced by goooorgeous aqua subway tile and we're deciding between wall-to-wall seagrass or sisal for the floors.  (layered over with a soft wool area rug.)  The goal is to get the family to love being down there & I can't wait to share the results and more details with you!!

Have a great day & thank you so much for all the kind wishes about BHG!! 

And, stop over @ Seleta's to read my post on greens! 

xoxo, Lauren

If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Seleta's gallery wall, and the mix of fabrics you chose. Can't wait to see the completed project!

Jenny Castle Design said...

Love the color palette - can't wait to see the before and after!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I LOVE this gallery wall...I have a wall that looks so similar- I should definitely turn it into a gallery.

Roxanne Lumme Interiors said...

Hi Lauren, You always inspire me! xoxo, Roxanne

Mary said...

Those are my colors! I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Since we are re-tiling our fireplace, can you share where the tiles are from?

Unknown said...

Love Seleta's wall, and her leopard pillows! Your client palate is lovely- very soft and serene.

A Perfect Gray said...

those aquas are stunning. can't wait for that...

Living It At Home said...

That is funny about her hubby leaving you a note on the chalkboard! Budgets are hard to stick to when there are so many options and beautiful things out there to buy! I don't like being down my basement either. It was finished and then we had a flood and it is terrible down there now. I have to pull it together but really don't want to face it! I wish it could be as cozy and inviting as your plans are. Those fabrics and colors are so soothing. Have a wonderful day!

xojamilyn

Acquired Objects said...

I am loving that color palette and can't wait to see the finished results. When it comes to our decorating my husband and I are pretty lucky in that we have the same taste and he usually doesn't know about the budget.....:)

Anonymous said...

Lovely wall....smiles.

Unknown said...

What a great gallery wall she has. Loved reading through the Better Homes and Gardens article yesterday. So fun! Congrats.

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

LOVE< LOVE the console table!! Beautiful room.
Have a nice day.
Teresa

kayce hughes said...

I love your fabric choices!

Unknown said...

I must admit- I get pangs of jealousy that in your neck o' the woods you can go out a snip great greenery. Back in CA I had the most glorious hydrangea bush that I could snip till the cows came home. Sadly here? My choices are something thorny or dry. I make up for it with cute and colorful little succulents so don't feel to bad for me ;)

Great work as always L!!

Karen said...

I love the wall gallery and will read your guest post

Also love the soft aqua tones you selected for your clients. Can't wait to see the finished room.'
Karen at Garden, Home and Party

Unknown said...

The art wall is great! I really love that table and the lamps.

Lovin That! said...

Love the colour and fabric choices!! Beautiful.

I'm a new follower and really enjoying your blog - come check out my blog here in Vancouver, BC

www.lovinthat.blogspot.com

Olivia said...

loving that picture wall!!! so great

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I am still waiting on my BH&G subscription to arrive...cannot wait to see your place in print! Love the gallery wall...and your fabric selections...esp. the large scale houndstooth!

Unknown said...

First of all, the wall art and decorations are fabulous in the first photo. Secondly, this family room idea seems inviting and relaxing with the use of cool tones. I came across your post this afternoon while browsing interior design blogs and the topic of window treatment selection was very interesting to me. It is true that you must dress your windows appropriately to bring out their true beauty. Thank you for writing and as a special thanks to you and your readers, I would like to offer a 20% off coupon using this code upon checkout: BLG20.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Gorgeous color palette for your clients! And on a side note, I have those same striped lampshade in Seleta's room photo!

Danielle Sigwalt Interiors said...

Ok, so there is this gorgeous handmade paper at The Paper Source in Georgetown and on it are waves done in a Hokusai fashion. I just bought 3 sheets and they are gorgeous. Check them out here:
http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Yuzen-Pool-Lake-Waves-Fine-Paper/3105_001/12440350.html
They remind me of your cool color pallet.

Dianne said...

Lauren, steer your client to seagrass. I have found sisal leaves furniture footprints. I am sure you know this...wish someone had told me. :(

designchic said...

Such a pretty color palette...heading over to Seleta's!!

Belinda said...

Love the post over at Seleta's! I need to get more light into my rooms so I can bring in more plants. I love indoor plants in a home!

Flooring has become so hard to choose for me, not sure how anyone else is feeling about it these days. I have to do the snaplock type wood flooring since my floors are concrete underneath and there are so many choices in rugs to go with it. Do you go with seagrass? Or just a pretty rug to match the room? Or the animal look thats in now? Or a little bit of both? lol So many choices!

Belinda

Rie said...

Just wanted to tell you that my BHG mag came in the mail today and was so estatic to see your home featured in it! Everything looked so beautiful. I'm so excited for you!