"Risk And Its Rewards"

We got home from our trip to Puerto Rico last night & I was thrilled (ok, I totally squeeled) to see the article about my family & house in the Washington Post on news stands. 

{photos by Katherine Frey}

I was so excited when Terri Sapienza asked us to do the story & when they came to our house to take photos.  The story- one of its bi-lines being "Risk and Its Rewards"- is basically about us purchasing our 70s bilevel & fixing it up on a tight timeline & budget and a little bit about my career.  (Those of you who've been following this blog for a while have been along for the ride so you probably already know the story, but it's a fun read ;) 

To read the story, click here.

To see the photos taken, go here.

Buying a house we could afford & fixing it up was a dream of ours.  As a designer, I wanted to use it as a lab & portfolio.  Our house still not "finished" in my mind or at the quality level I wish it could be at, but we love it just the same.  Thanks so much to the team at the Washington Post for including us as one of their stories this week! 

Also, I'm guest posting for my friend Alison over at My Little Happy Place about something in my house that really makes me happy.  To check it out, go here.  I love Alison's colorful & fresh style.

And finally, my cousin's wedding in Puerto Rico was amazing. I'll definitely share photos as soon as I have them but check out this one the photographer, Rebecca, shared:


{Jen & Brian are so happy together}

Jen's like a sister to me & we were both maids of honor at each other's weddings. (Well, I was a "matron" - yucky word! ;)   She truly has found the perfect partner for her in Brian.

 Here's a pic of the "LBJ's" (me, Brant - her older brother & my cousin & Jen) in the cave we visited a couple of days after the wedding:

{still having our adventures}


We  are heading out again to another cousin's wedding, but I'll be done with weddings for real next week.   The vacation was pretty crazy with 2 little kids and travelling around, but we had a ton of fun and some really relaxing moments.  My favorite part was horseback riding through the forest & beach with my husband.  There was a TORRENTIAL downpour for the first hour of the ride but it was still amazing.    I'll be back soon!!


xoxo, Lauren

If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

36 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how exciting- I can't wait to read the article:)

The enchanted home said...

This is amazing!!! Congrats you are a beautiful family..going to go read it now. Your home looks just beautiful!

Kacey @ www.shesnomartha.com said...

fantastic article!!! You are a great inspiration for those of us that want great design for a reasonable budget. You proved to many it can be done!

Debby said...

I enjoyed the article and the photos. I also live in a 3,000 sq. foot bi-level. I love your changes.

Laura Stockett Roberts said...

Love it! I've put Commodore in my paint file for later. I'm totally drawn to a navy room!

Unknown said...

Great article! I have so much respect and admiration for you, Lauren. Not only are you incredibly talented, you are also one of the sweetest, most genuine bloggers I know. You deserve all of your success and more.

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

Congrats! This is so exciting, I loved the article. Your home is stunning :)

red ticking said...

i have to go online and find the article! congratulations to you and your darling family... i am so happy for you
sweet friend... xoxo

Jill @ Craft in a Northern Town said...

Great article!

kayce hughes said...

congratulations. I hope that you are saving all of these articles somewhere safe.

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

If all else fails, you can start a PR firm! But, I'm sure it won't because you're so talented! Congrat's on a great article!
Barbara
The Treasured Home

red ticking said...

oh i just read it... fabulous.... xoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your article in the Washington Post. Your home is stunning!

Anonymous said...

Lauren congratulations on the fantastic article!! You so deserve it, you created a dream house! And the design is beautiful!!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I am so happy about your feature in the Washington Post. Even though I have been following your blog for a long time, I an excited to read the article. Jen and Brian are adorable. Love her hair. Good luck getting caught from your vacation!

erika@concept2designstudio.com said...

The article in The Washington Post was very inspiring. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished in such a short time :)

Holly Irwin Fine Art said...

Congrats, Lauren! Great article. I love your determination and style!

under spanish moss said...

Congrats on the article! Can't wait to go over and read it. Go glad that your family had a great time in Puerto Rico! Your cousin look so beautiful! Have a great weekend! XO Angela and Renee

The Nest Egg said...

Beautiful pictures and wonderful article! Great job!

Lauren@BaylorSays... said...

Wonderful, congrats Lauren!

Can't wait to hear more about the trip...we are headed to Puerto Rico soon for a wedding in Rincon. I have been to San Juan for work but never for pleasure so I'm excited. We are taking our little buddy as well, so I'm glad to hear that your kids enjoyed it too.

swheat said...

Great article! Congratulations!

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

Congrats on the article! So fun! Glad you had fun on your trip... horseback riding through the forest sounds magical! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great article - love your story!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Sooo exciting! I saw it first thing when I opened the Post and I squealed. My daughter didn't quite "get" how I could be so happy when we've never met, but hey, she's not a blogger. :)

Lindsey said...

Congratulations!! Your home looks great!

Kathysue said...

Welcome home and Congratulations!! Good things happen to good people and your talent and beauty help too!!!How exciting for you and your family. Your cousin made a beautiful bride, Kathysue

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Congratulations Lauren. I always enjoy seeing great things happen for you. And now you have beautiful friends, too! :). You are blessed, girl!

The Kramer Angle said...

Congratulations Lauren!

I met Terri when she included my barn shows The Post's cover story on the subject in March - she was awesome!

I loved Terri's article on your home and look forward to following your blog!

Gail Kramer
www.thekramerangle.com

Suze Yalof Schwartz said...

GREAT JOB!!!! I just put it up on my blog and linked to you and the article - AMAZING! Suze

http://dwellerswithoutdecorators.blogspot.com/2011/07/pure-style-home-is-pure-genius-you-will.html

Designs by M said...

Congrats on the article! I always love looking at pictures of your beautiful home! Can't wait to see more pics of your cousins wedding!
Marita x

Unknown said...

I'm new here I enjoy reading your post and touring to transformation of your house...

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

your transformations are just amazing. I don't think I've ever seen the stairs before, so beautiful!!!
XO
Kristin

Tamsyn said...

Congratulations Lauren. It's a great article and the photos that go along with it perfectly capture the amazing transformation you've done.

Renee Sturgill said...

Your home is truly stunning; love everything about your style and choices! Congrats on such a wonderful feature.

debra @ 5th and state said...

i love all this press you are receiving lauren. i can say "well, i knew her when.........and, she is the nicest person, and......... LOL
see you in august!

ps; crazy for that snap of your cousin and brian...can't wait to see the rest
xo
debra

Pat said...

Love riding on the beach...that's how I pick my vacation spots.