Pure Organization Project #4: Update an "Ugly" (Bathroom Sink)

Well, you all said you were interested in even seeing the not-so-pretty projects, so this one definitely fits the bill!  Our kids' bathroom is AWFUL.  Really bad.  (And it's also the bathroom nearest the main living area so everyone uses it.)  Our house was built in the 70s and so was graced with beautiful green bathroom fuxtures!!  yum yum pretty...





When we replaced the old linoleum floors with hardwoord, we (Dave) installed a new white toilet. Since then, I've been dying for a new sink.  The green shower can be hidden by a shower cutrain but that sink is just out there.  We bought a new sink and then returned it, realizing that this bathroom isn't a space we want to put any money into right now.   So as a temporary fix, I decided to try out a porcelain refinishing paint kit from here for around $50.   It was a simple 2-step process of spraying on primer (2 coats) and then multiple coats of the spray-on Epoxy/ Porcelain Hard Finish. So here it is before:





And here it is now (san- new caulk-  that's happening soon):







It's SO MUCH better now.  My mom gave me these cute little blue gungham animal towel sets for the boys (from PB Kids)  and so I'm using these as the starting point for the design. 







I'm planning on sewing a sink skirt that removes with velco (thanks Eddie!) to hide a couple baskets of toiletries/ diapers/ etc.  I've also got a blue & white sheet to tun into the shower curtain & some art work for the walls.  Dave's adding in some woodwork for towel hooks.  We may or may not paint from there.  So, how did the spray on stuff work?  It looks much MUCH better but there is still a bit of a greenish hue about the sink when comparing it to the white toilet which is next to it.  If you look right at it alone it looks like a pure white as seen in this pic:









Since we haven't used it yet (we're letting it cure) I can't tell you about its performance.  I'll let you know how it's working in a month or so.  But for now, I'm very happy with it as an intermediate fix until we're able to do more in here.   When we're finished with this little bathroom redo, I'll of coures take pics & show you!


And now for Project #4:  Update an "Ugly"


Maybe you're lucky enough that you've already updated your uglies (Oh how I wish I were!!) and if so, you get the week off!! :)  But if you're like me and live in an old house or even a house that was done by someone else, or like to collect flea market pieces in need of a little TLC, you probably have some things that need a little updating or freshening up.  Door or cabinet hardware?  Any furniture you've been planning on repainting or refinishing?  Light fixtures?  Faucets?  Outlet covers?  Mailbox?  Door knocker?  Anyway, doing this little thing makes our whole bathroom feel 100 times less fugly.  Is there anything you can do to update a little something in your house?


UPDATE**  I LOVE getting all your photos & seeing them, but I'm getting so many that I've decided to use Mr.Linky's widgets so that you can link up to your photos straight from the post.  As soon as I figure out how to set it up, I will add it on to the end of this post so check back!! :)


Goodl luck!!    THANK YOU!!!
xoxo,
lauren


ps - Don't forget to vote again for Eddie's window!  (The top right pic on my sidebar is a link to the voting and you can also text "1" to 89800)


And tonight is that last night for the LISA LEONARD DESIGNS GIVEAWAY (previous post) so be sure to enter!! :)

34 comments:

Melissa said...

I am SO glad you posted this. I have a tub that is in dire need of SOMETHING-- old cast iron that's seen better days-- but we don't want to put any real money in b/c we're planning a gut remodel next year and it just doesn't make sense. I'm so embarassed about it when we have company (it's our guest bath!) and this might help me make it through the year!

Tina said...

Lauren!! Your sink looks fabulous! I have always wanted to use one of those kits to re-do our cast iron clawfoot tub (we physically can't get it out of our house to have it re-enamelled), but have been a bit scared...I would love to hear how you find it has worked on your sink once it has cured! LOVING Project #4, can't wait to get started! BRAVO to you on your wonderful sink makeover:) Thanks for the inspiration - Tina x

Kelly Green said...

GREAT JOB! can't wait to see it with all the extra's added in. i am working on a blue and green room myself - only a bedroom! love the colour combo!
What a clever product.......(for a clever couple)KG

The House Creative said...

I love the way that it turned out! You cant even tell that it wasn't white to begin with. It makes me almost wish I had a green sink to try it on... instead I have just an ugly white one.. Thanks for sharing this tip though, I never knew that this product was out there.

Market Girl said...

That looks great and I love the taps, are they original? They are so cool.
Well done
Cheers
Julie @ handmade

Judy said...

I think it looks 100% better! Great job! I have lots of projects like that to complete around our home. Seems like there's just not ever enough time or money! Will share some of mine soon.

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!!! looks million bucks!!! Thank you so much for all of your support!! big hug to you and Dave and the boy's!
xo
Eddie + Jaithan

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

It turned out great! And those towels are adorable!

I'll send pix if I finish either one of the projects I am attacking this week:

http://coconutsandlimes.blogspot.com/2010/01/andsince-we-didnt-win-lottery.html

Kathysue said...

Lauren, It looks so much better,I can only imagine how happy you are. Sometimes a quick fix is a good idea until the monies are there for a more extensive re-do. YOu were really smart to do it this way, Kathysue

pve design said...

Never knew that there was such a thing?
I will send you some photos of our old bath that we lived with for years til we could finally afford to renovate.
pve

Melissa Marie Head said...

Awesome! It looks great. Good to know as well as we are buying a cabin with a red sink and a blue sink. Nice to have a cheap easy quick fix option.

The Book Addict said...

Wow! This look amazing! I'm seriously considering doing this to the ugly peachy colored sink in my half-bath...although, then there's the problem with the matching ugly peachy toilet. Anyway, thanks for sharing!!

Michelle said...

Every room you put together is so beautiful Lauren...love those little towels...decorating for kids is so much fun.

Thanks for all these great tips!!

Best,
Michelle

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Now that is an improvement! And love the price tag...
Janell

Riviera Boardwalk said...

I love your project! Wish I could say the same for mine since I managed to smash my lamp into a million pieces before I could do my lamp shade project, ugh!
xoxo,
nancy

Anonymous said...

Love it! Can't wait to see the finished sink! Those towels are SO CUTE!

xo
Jaithan + Eddie

LindsB said...

What a great fix to change up that "pretty" green sink. It looks so cute with the towels from your Mom, what a great gift!

Red Door Home said...

Little things make such a difference. What a great and inexpensive way to use what you have until you can make the bathroom what you want it to be. Looks great!

bagfashionista said...

doesn't that epoxy thing stink to high heavens? We did that to our old cast iron bath tub until we renovate the original 50's bathroom...my poor husband had to endure it alone as i was about 8 months pregnant then.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

The "new" white sink looks great!!!

xo,
cristin

Barbara Matson said...

Wow - didn't know stuff like that existed! I looks so much better. Velcro sink skirts are easy! I only found that the stickiness of the tape eventually stopped sticking to the sink. Easy to replace though. Can't wait to see the end result!

Jennifer said...

awesome! our bathroom fixtures were lovely too: sink, toilet and tub were/are three different shades of blue in the hall bath, and they were pale pink and peach with yellow and brown tile in the master bath. LOVELY!!!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

You are fearless!!! It already looks so good. I know once the caulk, mirror and skirt are added, it will be amazing. Love a skirted sink...especially on those ugly mud/utility sinks. I've done more than my share or those on the cheap!

The Covered Porch said...

We, too, had the beautiful green sink. We also had a green soap dish, shower, toilet, walls and floors. I like to call it Clinique green. (That sounds better than the other words you could use.) We used the "Tough as Tile" tub and tile paint on the floors, walls and shower stall. (We replaced the sink and toilet.) Keep in mind that this was the master bath in our 1960s ranch, so we used it a lot. It held up to the water for a spell, then we tiled the floor of the shower as the paint started to chip. Other than that, the product has held up...we no longer live in the house, but we do rent it out. It's served its purpose for about 8 years now. Good luck!

DecRenew Interiors said...

Love the changes the porcelain paint made to your sink. I ordered some for my bathroom tub so I'll have to let you know how it turns out. Can't wait to see what fabric you choose for around your sink.

Ruthie

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Looks great and I love the idea of the skirt to hide the essentials under the sink!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

WOW! Great idea! It looks new. And I love the cute towel inspiration for the room.

Caitlin said...

Okay this really is amazing! I am so impressed.

The accessories look darling. You never cease to amaze me!

Maria Killam said...

Excellent job on the sink!! My toilet is pink as well as my bathtub so there's nothing I can do. . . sigh.

simply seleta said...

Wonderful! How are you getting so much done with a baby and a tot?!?!? You ARE wonder woman! I'm amazed!

P.S. I was giddy to see you use the Anthro soap dish that you won in my giveaway {last year?}. It looks so pretty! YAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea there was such a thing. We have a YELLOW bathroom (yellow tub, yellow toilet, yellow tiles, yellow sink... you get the idea) in desperate need of a change. But with a baby on the way, I can think of a zillion other ways to spend our money. This may just buy us a few years before forking over the cash for a major rennovation.

Anna White said...

Whoa..that looks amazing..what a transformation...to be honest..I actually didnt mind the green...does that make me a loser..lol..it wasnt an awful shade of green ..I have definitely seen worse..coming from the 70's era. Well done to you...love it !

Low Tide High Style said...

Your sink turned out beautifully! I would have never thought to paint a porcelain sink!

Kat :)

Jennifer said...

Hi Lauren! How has this sink finish held up for you? Our new house has one pink sink, two minty green ones and a brown! I'd love to try this if it's still working for you.

Thanks much! Keep up the good work!