Clients' Family Room & Dining Room; "Before" & 2 years "after"

A couple of years ago, I met Aimee & Dave and wrote about their design plans & project here.  With life being so busy for me (& them! :) I never ended up taking pictures of their finished space.  It's always been one of my favorites because they were willing to take some BIG design risks!!!  We finally got together & I snapped a few quick pics to share.  We started working together when the home was still under construction & looked like this:

 
Now, a couple years later & lived in and loved, it looks like this:
 
 
 
The orange floral sofa was thought about - long & hard- by all of us.  It was a really bold move by Aimee & she is still totally loving it so I am so glad she took the risk!!!  Walking into the room with this sofa in it made me smile instantly.  It's soooo much fun and just so pretty in person. 
 
You might remember the design plans & the VERY rough skectches I made, helping Aimee & Dave visualize what their space would feel like:
 
 
This is how the actual space looks now:
 
 
They've kept the center of the plan fairly open for the kids to spread out & play on the floor.  We still have plans to swap out the sunburst mirror with an Audobon print and move it to the bedroom.
 
Here's a close-up of the super-comfy velvet chairs with a peek into the dining nook in the kitchen:
 
 
I didn't get a good pic of the 19th Century barley twist table with original needlepoint insets that I'd found for them but here's an old photo I took of it before it went in.  THIS THING IS INCREDIBLE:
 
 
It sits between the two velvet chairs.
 
 
I love the lamp by Haeger Potteries atop the media cabinet:
 
 
 
And then here's the kitchen dining nook when it was under construction: (hey! looks like how we're living at our place right now!! ;) ;)
 
 
And here it is now, truly being used:
 
 
 
The custom parsons dining table is by The Lorimer Workshop in Rhose Island.  (They're amazing.)  I loooooove the kids artwork collection simply taped to the wall!!  (You may have noticed a few other artwork walls in the other shots too ;)  They can add the collections whenever they want. 
 
And finally, here's one last pic of the family room with Aimee & Dave in it.  (They are STILL the cutest!! :)
 
 
I'm so thankful to have such wonderful clients like them who have let me into their homes & lives!!
 


If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

26 comments:

pve design said...

I remember that room. I bet your clients love you too.
It looks like it could be in a movie set as it looks real and so comfy.
pve

Unknown said...

I love these rooms and how simple yet elegant and cozy at the same time. Youre the master Lauren!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

I remember that barley twist table! I loved it then as I do now. What a great place.

Be safe in the storm!

Unknown said...

So pretty! Can you share the paint color and source for window blinds?

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

love the layered rugs and dark walls in the dining room. Nice to see a home that's lived in!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

The dark walls are fabulous! I like the open space for the kids. Its a reality for many of us and you made it look so good.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

I remember the barley twist table! I had just begun following your blog then, and thought how lucky to find such a special table.

Now seeing the entire room that has been lived in and loved, is so inspiring!

Thanks for sharing your talents, Liz

EDYTA & CO. INTERIOR DESIGN said...

What a great cozy home! Love the sofa! :)

Lori @ InDesign said...

Really lovely!
Congrats to the client for trusting you enough to go with the floral sofa!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Its such a beautiful, family-friendly home. Love that you went dark in the dining room.

carol jane said...

Can you please tell me what the pretty blue wall color is in the living room? PLEASE????

Holly Irwin Fine Art said...

Hi Lauren......it's nice to see shots of rooms actually being lived in! The orange sofa is delightful. The dark walls in the breakfast room look great in contrast with the living room. Brilliant!

xo

Holly

Carolyn said...

So pretty, Lauren! Amazing work as always! Thanks for sharing...LOVE seeing these!

Lauren said...

Jill & Carol Jane- the walls are Behr Paint's "Bali" .... (It's Home Depot's brand) .. They are so pretty in person.

I can't remember where the shades were from... maybe Lowe's???

xoxo,
lauren

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love how you've created a stylish space that's truly functional for everyday life. The art wall in the dining area is adorable!

Tiina

Jennifer said...

Such a pretty room! I adore the sofa florals paired with the bold rug.

RestonDogHouse said...

Oh this is absolutely lovely and you know, the first thing I thought when I saw the first picture of the LR was, "I really like that sofa, I think it's the fabric" and then I read your comment about it, haha. Great choice on all your parts. The DR is equally wonderful, they have some great light coming into the home there and I just love the light fixtures, dark wall and kids art. Well done!!

Angie said...

Amazing sofa! Love all the art work up - that's how we live, too!

Holly Gruszka said...

It's beautiful Lauren and so nice to see your clients really enjoying their home and the space that you designed for them. Thanks for the source on that awesome lamp too.

Anonymous said...

I love that dining room.G.x

Studio Yuko Jones said...

I remember this project. It's nice to see a room that's truly lived and loved (the kids' art works make the room ;-)) I feel your/your clients' heart in every room you design, and that makes those rooms so special. This is your gift, Lauren. And thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Can you please give the name of the fabric on the sofa and where it was purchased, along with the name of the paint color in the dining area as well?

Lumen Drops said...

A favorite color combination, coral and robin's egg blue and also love the sofa style - tuxedo? Very inviting rooms!

lc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Such floral fabric designs adds to the splendor of interior design.

pressure washing malibu

Unknown said...

Would love to know what the color was used on the dining nook walls. Looks awesome.

Jane