Photoshoot in DC Rowhouse

I'm in the process of getting ready for a photoshoot of one of our finished projects in DC today.   This will be my last before Baby #3 arrives!!  The home is really special...   Here is a "before" picture of the living room:


{This room already felt great when we first walked in}

My clients have an amazing sense of style and some beautiful iconic pieces that we kept & worked the design off of.  We painted the walls a soft cream & the doors went to a warm black: 


{a mid-stage photo of the living room... I love what a difference the paint made.}

We reworked the floorplan a bit:



We added some more natural elements to the house, changed fabric & color schemes & added in some more eclectic pieces. Here's a quick pic of the original design plans:



I love my client's bold fabric choices...  We used them in small doses in the now-neutral spaces:


Anyway, I'll be sure to share "after" photos as soon as I can.  I'm especially excited about this project because my clients' style is much more modern than our typical clients' style and it's been so much fun to branch out & help create a home that reflects them & their taste.  I think my favorite part of being a decorator is creating spaces that feel really personal to my clients & getting to experiment with design styles that are different from my own personal style (which they all are.) 

Wish me luck!!

xoxo, Lauren

If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

25 comments:

Meredith Ericksen - Tuscan Blue Design said...

The new black doors look great!

Looking forward to seeing the finished space.

Cheers
Meredith
Tuscan Blue Design

Leslie said...

Wow! Already so many great changes. :)

Unknown said...

I am lovin the black doors as well! What color and brand did you use?

Jamie and Vashti @ Like Me Some said...

The black doors are amazing! Love the fabric choices!

Anonymous said...

This one looks fabulous, Lauren! (They all do, I have to say). Looking forward to the after shots!
-Carmella

Anonymous said...

This one looks fabulous, Lauren! (They all do, I have to say). Looking forward to the after shots!
-Carmella

alison giese Interiors said...

Don't know that I would've thought to change the wall color, but with the black doors, it feels so right!

Anonymous said...

The "Before" really is already so beautiful that I am looking forward to seeing how you will make this room even better! The black doors are sharp!

kimt said...

i love your blog...one of my favorites. this place will be amazing. i love the raoul fabric in the orange and brown. is it available by the yard?

ArchitectDesign™ said...

those doors add so much more, for lack of a better word, architecture to the space. LOVE the bold fabrics too!

Pam said...

Love those black doors! I always think of black as taking away space but I'm proved wrong. Can't wait to see the finished room

BaileyWife said...

You are just teasing us! Can't wait to see the final design. And seriously thought the "before" was the "after". But just seeing the changes you made already was breathtaking! LOVE.YOUR.STYLE.

Kathysue said...

Lauren, I love the direction you are going. I also like seeing the difference the black door frames made. I have had a secret desire to do black doors or frames in my Hallway, just not brave enough to commit. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. KATHYSUE

Windlost said...

So impressed that you can work in a different style. I don't know how decorators do it. I struggle with more contemporary/modern but gradually do notice my taste going to a few more contemporary elements...
Gorgeous fabrics. I love brave people (I am not one).

Diane said...

Beautiful as always, Lauren. And I agree that it is fun to work with clients that have a design aesthetic just a bit out of the norm. Really challenges us! Just wondering why you didnt paint the window frames black as well....just curious.

Anonymous said...

I love the black doors and the new wall colour is so pretty. It makes an amazing difference.

Cailan said...

Love seeing the design boards - excited to see the finished project.

Cailan said...

Love seeing the design boards - excited to see the finished project.

greg's wife said...

As everyone mentioned, the black doors are just right. Which "color" of black and how did you choose it since there are so many different shades of black.
Thanks!
schmeez@hotmail.com

Lynn said...

The black doors were a FAB ! Idea.
Lynn from Decor Arts Now

Jg Ar said...

I like the living room now because of the wall color and of course the black doors! Thanks for sharing this to us!

traci zeller designs said...

love, love, love!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Can't wait to see the after pictures:)

Paula said...

Can't wait to see the end result. The rest of your blog and your amazing aesthetic is SO beautiful, that I know it will be simply FABULOUS!

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Lauren- How nice the black doors look. I have some Benjamin Moore "Wrought Iron" paint picked out to paint my new windows. Was it Bobby MacAlpine who said black mullions were mascara for the house???

I really like how the dark doors balance the fireplace, too. The fabric looks lovely, can't wait to see the finished design!

Loretta