Client Project Plans: Aimee & Dave's Open Plan Living Area

I thought I'd share another project I've been working on with you.  I started working with Aimee & Dave om their new house pre-construction this past Winter.   Here's a photo of the living room mid-construction:


Aimee & Dave are probably one of the cutest couples I've ever met as you can see from the pic below.  See the smiles on their faces as they check out their new place?



They have two cutie pies (not pictured) Eli & Lucy (right around my kids' ages) and are a young couple with a really fun sense of style.  They were looking for fresh, "coastal," fun, family-focused design.  Now since there's really no coast in sight around here, we had to make sure that we didn't get too themey-coastal and instead went with pieces that could work in Virginia but had that easy-breezy vibe.  Aimee knew she wanted aqua and from her inspiration photos we settled on aqua, oraange, and black & white for the general color scheme.

The kitchen is open to the dining nook and the living/ family room and Aimee & Dave wanted a place where they can cook, play with the kids, watch TV, eat, entertain, etc.  (Basically do it all)  Their house is new and open with classic details.  The rooms are a nice liveable big-but-not-too-big- sized-rooms and there aren't any wasted rooms in the house.   They will be literally be using every room of the house.  I love it.


After getting to know Aimee & her style, here's the plan I came up with.   (I typically do client plans in a 3-pronged folder, 1 for me and 1 for them to take home...  Samples are usually loose so we hold, drape on other things, tweak, etc.  I used to do large boards but have gotten away from it recently for the sake of portability...  they were fun though so who knows, I might eventually go back.)
  Anyway, here's the plan for the living area:


Here are the fabrics pictured above:

I'm a little bit in love with the sofa fabric which is the large-scale orange floral linen.  Aimee loved the fabric but took a long time deciding whether to do it on the sofa or not.  Doing a print on a sofa is a big deal.  For the past few years we've all heard the general touting: "Go neutral on your sofa and then switch up your pillows and acessories whenever you want," which I definitely think is perfect for a lot of us, but sometimes a pattern is so right, so timeless and so personal, that you know you'll love it for years and you don't want to switch things up all the time.  And that's how this orange fabric was.  We toyed with the idea of going neutral on the sofa and having pillows made out of it, but Aimee's style is realy fun & bold so she decided to go for it.  I am so excited for this baby to arrive!!!   We're doing it on this sofa: (which has just been finished this week and is ready for delivery!!)"



We're doing the modern wing chairs in a brown velvet with the black & white fabric for pillows, and then aqua pillows on the sofa.

Here are some of the other pieces we're using:



We're doing a large seagrass rug on the floors with the black & white Dash & Albert rug over it.  Remember the German antique barley twist table with inset needlepoint panels?


Yup!  It went to Aimee & Dave.

Here's the living area mid-construction:


...And please don't laugh, I'm not an artist, but the point comes across in this quick drawing:

 

The brown velvet chairs will go in front of the windows which will have aqua blue curtains and woven shades.

I made some optional pieces we could add in later:



Love that lantern pendant...  we're doing one over the island too.  And this guy's going above the fireplace:


Here's the dining nook:



Here's a super-quick brainstorming sketch:


 And here are the actual pieces:


Aimee & Dave have decided to go with all chairs (no banquette) for now and are having a custom table made.  They've also added chalkboard paint to the wall for Eli (who loves it!!) and eventually Lucy.  I'll keep you posted & can't wait to show you some "afters."  Thanks so much to Aimee & Dave for letting me help you with your project!!



xoxo, Lauren

If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

57 comments:

Dining and Decor said...

I love the color combination and look forward to seeing your vision come to life!

Design A-Peele said...

Love the look! Can't wait to see the final look!

ALEX ALLIO said...

I LOVE it
Would you come here to do the same??? Too far maybe ... so that will inspire me
XoXo
Alexandrine

Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

I really love seeing your projects in progress! The design looks great (and so do your drawings!) Look forward to seeing it come to live.

Acquired Objects said...

So much color, I love it! Love, love, love orange and I'm so glad to see people aren't afraid of it. To bad they aren't going with the banquette, love those too. Lots of love going on here....lol, great job and can't wait to see the after pics!

Leah said...

this is going to look incredible! i can't wait to see it finished.

DreamCatcher said...

Oh how I like your design projects!
They are always so...real, with beauuuutiful colors, textures and designs. I'm always at awe with your vintage touches that go so well in an otherwise casual home.
And the best part is that they look even better after the work has been done.
Bravo!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Lovely Lauren. I love all the pops of orange! That sofa is going to look amazing!!!!!

I love the idea of doing presentations in a folder. So much easier to drag around with you and the pictures are still large. Great idea.

What type of printer do you use? The pages look so crisp!

Fran said...

I love how you showed your design plans/folder! So cool! Your designs are fabulous - love the orange & aqua combo! When we get to see the sofa, I know I am going to be so jealous! I think Aimee made the right decision to go w/the floral orange fabric! It's going to be such a statement piece!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Love the way you put your design sheets together, beautiful. And the bird! I have a client with a painting very similar to this one above their fireplace, it adds tremendously to the space! I hope you share more on this project in the future. Janell

SteFay said...

I love the way this whole thing was put together. From the folder, to the pictures, to the drawings it's very easy to imagine exatly how this will look. I especially love it because I'm a big fan of the "coastal" style too. Great work!

Maggie said...

This is really gorgeous. I'd never guess all those colors could work so well together. Where did the farmhouse table come from?

Maggie said...

This is really gorgeous. I'd never guess all those colors could work so well together. Where did the farmhouse table come from?

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a lovely home. I love your idea board, beautiful colors and fabric combinations. I love, love, love that sofa fabric. Can you tell me who makes it? Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

gina said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see everything complete.

Jennifer said...

looks beautiful, Lauren! love the orange sofa with the aqua accents. have a great weekend!

Jennifer said...

Hey Lauren--fantastic job!!! And don't put down your drawings, I think they're pretty cute and definitely help your clients see the "big" picture.

Karen said...

Hi Lauren,

I love the fabric selections and the sofa fabric is outstanding. Can't wait to see the end result. How wonderful.

Karen@Garden, Home and Party

Holly said...

I'd love to see the finished product! I never would have thought to put those colors together, but I think it's going to be gorgeous! Nice job!

Unknown said...

How do you do it girl?! Every project is so unique and awesome! Seriously. Great eye. I LOVE that bird print going over the fireplace! So cute.

Linda in AZ * said...

* Ohhhh Lauren, you REEEEALLY hit a home run here, with a look that is FRESH, CLEAN, YOUNG, FUN annnnd CHARMINGLY SOPHISTICATED... all at once!!!

The color choices are just DELIGHTFUL!!! I ADOOORE the orange fabric w/ the pheasant(?) & mixing it with the turquoise is YUMMY... and, the black n' white just "WORKS!" so delightfully!!! Furniture choices are uncomplicated too, so it will be FASHIONABLE annnd SO COMFY for the entire family!!!

YESSS, m' dear, ME LIKEY!!! Can't WAIT to see all the end results, & a big "thank you" to the owners for letting you share their beautiful dream with us!!!

Warmest,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

pixelimpress said...

oh wow, i love it. linda said it best...fresh yet sophisticated. thanks for sharing! pam

Michelle said...

What a lovely project Lauren...and your presentation is fantastic!! I love seeing designers draw... :)

Best,
Michelle

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Lauren, I love this design! That needle point table is perfect, I need something fun like that!
Looking forward to the pictures, I was hoping they were at the end of the post.

Londen

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Love it! I think you definitely captured the "beachy" vibe without making it theme-y at all.

katiedid said...

Lauren!
You are so very talented! I am looking forward to the "afters", but I can just picture it in my mind right now. Love your presentation method as well.
Thanks!

Sherri Bones Nelson said...

The room is going to be gorgeous! If you're ever looking for original art that is still affordable (large oil paintings) - visit my blog or website! :)

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Looks great Lauren! Happy Weekend!

Liz said...

Loved seeing your design book! I've been flip flopping on the board vs. book too. It's so nice to see it all up on one board, but so unwieldy, non-portable and not easily stored. I'm thinking the book is the way to go, with some board on the side where needed maybe?

Looks like a great house with some beautiful, natural light. I love the happy, bright colors you helped them pick and look forward to seeing it finished!

Lisa said...

Wow I am in love with these design choices! My husband and I and our two sons are moving into a brand new house in two weeks. We are going through all the same things you went through here with this couple. Nice job. I'm going to show this to my husband.

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

Their house is already amazing! What wonderful bones and I love what you have in mind for them. Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures.

Unknown said...

Wow, I love it!!

Where are the chairs from? They have great lines....

Kay* said...

i can not wait to see the sofa!

Gretchen O. said...

Thanks for sharing your design process! So excited for YOU and your client with the sofa...so rare that someone just goes for it! Can't wait to see the reveal.

--Gretchen O.

Sarah said...

Hi Lauren: great choices, love the color combos...nosy question...wondering how you do the presentation - looks like clear sleeves but how do you do the pictures of furniture and fabric? is that computer generated? I have struggled with this because there are sooo many ways to do this, but I love your idea for easy transport etc. Thank you for sharing!

debra @ 5th and state said...

WOW lauren............look at all these responses. BRAVO!
you are so talented; the color combo, presentation, crazy for that sofa fabric......everything

hurry, can't wait to see the final results. and, i think your drawings are charming :-)
xoxo
debra

Megan Elizabeth Johnson said...

Wow! It's going to look amazing I can't wait to see it all together.
And there are nothing wrong with your drawings, I wish I was as artistic as you!

Maillardville Manor said...

The timing of this post couldn't be any better for me. We just bought our new house and the layout is almost identical, complete with the two windows flanking the fireplace!
I love your plan and am planning on stealing lots of ideas!!
Great Post!
~Ashli

niartist said...

Looks like lots of fun, and I love your ideas! Thanks for sharing, I'll be looking for the afters! :)

Velvet and Linen said...

I love when you let us into your design process!
Your drawings are so charming, and I love all of the colors and textures. Oh and the artwork above the fireplace is just wonderful!
I see two very happy clients :)

xo
Brooke

Emily A. Clark said...

Such a beautiful project! Love the color combination. And, yay for Aimee for going bold! I'm sure she'll love it.

Living It At Home said...

I love all of your design concepts for them! Very impressive! I think your drawing are whimsical! I think they are great! The colors are wonderful and very unique. Can't wait to see it!

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Lauren, What a beautiful house and those choices of yours will make it a beautiful HOME. Your sketches are wonderful, too!

And the egret picture is the icing on the cake. Can't wait to see the AFTER.

Gwen Driscoll said...

Lauren,

It's going to be so beautiful! So happy for you. Can't wait to see it finished. Hope you are having a great weekend with your precious kiddos!

Tessa said...

I think this is going to be my favorite project of yours so far. I've been reading your blog for just about 2 years now. I don't comment much - busy with children, I read in google reader so it's harder to comment, etc. But I HAD TO COMMENT on this. I'm LOVING the orange farbic! The sofa will look incredible! Yay for your client for biting the bullet. I can't wait to see this one all finished!! Congrats!

Cindy said...

Wow, I love what you put together! I am almost done with our kitchen re-do. I haven't found a chandelier I love yet but I think the curvy drum lamp wod be perfect!!! Would you be willing to share who makes it or where I can get it?
You are very talented! And I love your blog!
Cheers!

SmileyIsles said...

Can't wait to see the after photos. I am especially interested because I have an open plan living area so hopefully I'll get some inspiration.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I, too, think this is one of my favorites of the client projects you've shared. Cannot wait to see the big reveal when you are all done!

Shana said...

Beautiful! I would love to know who makes the pendants. I have been looking for something similar to put over my dining room table! Can't wait to see the end results!

pve design said...

Please show us when it is all done. I know it will be stunning! love to see a long bench for the breakfast nook with cubbies underneath for the kid's back-packs etc - as my b-fast nook has been the "home-work" station. I will send you some pics - if not for this pure style home project, another one!
Happy Monday -
pve

Bailey said...

I love that you showed us your process here...so many designers at so tight lipped- which is obviously their right- but it is so refreshing to get to see how other people do what they do so well!

alison giese Interiors said...

I'm with Bailey - LOVE to see the process! I'm not sure why other designers don't do more of that, unless of course, it's a privacy/trade secrets kind of thing. Their home will look so gorg!

kayce hughes said...

I love your sketches and your book! so inspiring.

mrsben said...

LOVE, LOVE, what you have chosen and like Artie can hardly wait for 'the afters'.
Question Lauren if don't mind me asking: would you mind sharing the source of the Island pendant lighting? THANK YOU!

Wishing much happiness to Aimee, Dave and their family in their home. -Brenda-

simply seleta said...

Love. Love. Love everything here!!! Such talent. It's a Domino spread!!!!!!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Beautiful fresh style. Cannot wait to see! I LOVE the bird art too.

traci zeller designs said...

Looks amazing, Lauren!! Love your idea of doing the folders. I do big boards, but your way seems to have a lot of advantages! PS - I know i owe you an email. I was out of town for the weekend, and now crazy trying to catch up!