Project: Family Hang-Out

 My clients, the Hart family wanted a living room that they could really live in.  Like I mentioned in my previous post on their dining room, they're an active family who love being outside, hiking, camping and spending time together so we really wanted an outdoors-in natural, fresh feel in here.  They're also musically-inclined and wanted a place where the damily could practice playing.  Although they do entertain, the initial function of their living room was to be a place where they can hang out, pay bills, do homework, play instruments and relax. 

Here's what the space looked like before.  It was a totally empty blank slate (how fun?!): 

 

And here's it is now:


When I initially surveyed the house, I noticed they didn't have many family photos and suggested doing a family photo wall in the living room because they wanted an extremely personal family-focused feel in here.  The problem was that they didn't have many family photos to create the wall.  

...So, this past Fall, I met with the family for a family "photo shoot" and I took a ton of pictures of them in the backyard.   We had so much fun "playing" in the leaves and even Whimsy, the family dog, got her close-ups. 


{The Harts}

They came out really well and I created this photo collage of all of the photos surrounding a natural "twiggy" sconce:




Mike & Debbi pay their bills  and the kids also do on homework here at the worktable:

{I love their family-passed-down-clock !!}

We chose a pen shell cocktail table: (This was the first element I chose for the space and used it as a springboard for the rest of the design)


And repeated the natural shells again in the capiz shell pendant over the work table:


I found this cool old lion painting in their garage.  I think he's prefect for the space and it was the last thing to go up.



I tossed this cool needlepoint throw of mine over the back of the loveseat for some added interest: 

 {It's a very tone-on-tone textural design in keeping with the family's natural, relaxed style}

The kids & I picked some pretty polar leaves from the trees outside the house and I had them enlarged on 3 and a half feet high canvases for the walls.  I thought it was a really personal way to "bring the outside in" since they love their house because of its wooded location. 


Here's a view of the second poplar leaf canvas:


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the before & after and thank you again to the Harts for trusting me to design your home!  It was so much fun!!


Hope you had a great 4th of July weekend and if you missed the first part of this project (the dining room), check out the previous post here. 

xoxo, Lauren

32 comments:

Fargerike Dagny said...

Lauren, I LOVE it!! It's amazing how recognizable your style is now. You can definitely see your trademark on it!

xx
dagny

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I absolutely love the leaf canvases!! So cool!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Love the personal touches you added to the space - I'm sure the family is thrilled! The leaf canvases are my fave, as well. :)

~ Liz
www.itsgreattobehome.net

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great looking room. I love how casual but elegant it looks. A great place to relax and enjoy each other. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

MFAMB said...

super love.
your skills are so good lauren.
that table is delicious.

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode said...

I love what you did with the leaves, making those canvases. What a nice nature touch. I'd love to know how exactly you got them blown up - did you lay the leaves on a white surface and then photograph them?

pve design said...

Lovely and livable - I would love to see the work/desk table turned side-ways against the window so the both chairs would have a view out those slim windows - perfect for a game of backgammon or chess.
pve

Julianna Farmer said...

That's a really great space. Great job!

Geb said...

You are so talented! I love all the personal touches and how you layered some of the frames in the photo wall!

M.A said...

It looks amazing and the worktable is Fab!

Barbara Matson said...

I love your work and style. It isn't pretentious and frilly but casual yet classy. You are an inspiration!

Jane said...

It looks great, very distinctive and interesting and kind of a bit 1970s, which I mean in nicest possible way - makes me feel quite nostalgic! xoxo

Gretchen O. said...

I am sure that lion painting was long forgotton...and look at how well it works. Awesome job! LOVE the work table, I am sure they are thrilled to have a beautiful and functional space!

Unknown said...

What a lovely room. Please share your technique for the botanicals. Thank you.

Ashley said...

Lauren--

I love it. How did you do the canvas? I am interested in doing something similar.

Ashley

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Love the photo wall and the throw! Great job.

Erin said...

I am in LOVE with that capiz shell pendant! where did you get that?

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love it as usual! good job

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

It looks amazing! I love the family photos, the frames are beautiful.
I'm having a giveaway for little ones, stop by.
Londen

lvroftiques said...

Hi Lauren! What a beautiful job you did! I've been reading ya from out in the etherland for a while now, and just had to tell you how much I love your work. I can clearly see your signature style reflected in the lovely rooms you've created for the Hart family. And that needlepoint throw MAKES the sofa! Do you think you could loan....*cough cough letmekeep* that one?? *winks* Vanna

nannykim said...

I like the way you have combined everything they wanted in the space.

Unknown said...

that looks osm! I love the two tall skinny windows (ok i know you didn't do that part lol but i still lovem) and I adore the way you set the framed photos up to overlap each other and the giant leaves are super neat.

Stephanie said...

Looks fabulous! Great job!

Tiina said...

fabulous as always!

Shell said...

What a groovy room! I lovelovelove that coffee table!

Kathysue said...

Lauren what a talent you are!! You made a wonderful place for this family to hang out and relax. I am loving the leaf prints,great idea and such an impact on the room. Thank you soooo much for your sweet compliment on my Entry post. It is fun to do a readers participation with Emily clark, it is my first. Thanks again for stopping by, I know how valuable your time is with your new little one, Have a great day,Kathysue

LindsB said...

What a wonderful family room! I love all the natural elements you brought in and how there is a space for each member of the family. Fantastic job as usual!!

traci zeller designs said...

This looks fantastic, Lauren! I love the personal touches, and I think the wax pillar chandelier looks AMAZING!

Life in Rehab said...

That was flippin' amazing!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

You did an amazing job with the living room. Just for your information, the leaf on the left is from a tulip tree. Not sure about the right one though I don't think it is poplar.

lisa_d said...

Great house with excellent features. Interesting and beautiful.

houses for sale philippines