Guest Blog Before & After: Janell from Isabella & Max Rooms

Please welcome super-stylish designer Janell Beals from Isabella & Max Rooms!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel very honored to be writing this guest post for Lauren and her delightfully beautiful blog today. Whenever I see a new post by Lauren I happily open it, anticipating that I will be inspired.

Today I'm going to recap three of my recent projects, all using chalkboard paint. It seems I have been bitten by the chalkboard craze! It's hard not to be. This paint offers up so many possibilities and it is just such a fun project that keeps on giving after you've stored away the paint and cleaned the brushes.



Project #1: Chalkboard/Art Wall. Here an entire wall became a chalkboard and the backdrop for an art wall in my husband's home office. I had considered several ideas on how to treat the wall behind the photos and images, finally deciding upon chalkboard paint when I realized whatever I did needed to be cheap...











Project #2: Chalkboard Lamps. Yes, I know, this doesn't initially sound like a good idea. But look at the result! I had a pair of lamps that needed a little pick me up as I started working on Max's bedroom. It was a quick project with a fun outcome. And what is best? Max loves them.








Project #3: Chalkboard Stripe. Here a wide chalkboard stripe was painted around the perimeter of Max's bedroom. (I swear, I've run out of the paint and I'm not going back to the store for more anytime soon!) Before starting the redesign of Max's room I had a "client interview" with him. It was amazing how much inspiration and direction I got from his answers. Among his requests for the room was the color black, to bring in a chalkboard and to get rid of the plain walls. It quickly dawned on me that I could easily address all three of these requirements with one item...chalkboard paint. Everyone in the family has gotten in on the writing and drawing, suddenly Max's room is the most popular spot in the house!















So tell me, where would you use some chalkboard paint in your house?

Thank you Lauren for inviting me to write this guest post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much for sharing these awesome projects with us Janell!!  I love how you did a client interview with Max & have really worked to create a room he loves.  You've used chalkboard paint in such creative ways and I love it!!!   (the frames on the walls/  the lamps/!! so awesome) 

Happy St.Pattie's Day!!!
xoxo,
lauren

38 comments:

daninotes said...

Love how you used the chalk board paint in Max's room! Just might have to try that in one of my boys rooms. I did paint a wall in the kitchen on the side of our fridge. The boys LOVE it, everyday there is fun and funny things written and drawn up there.

Red Door Home said...

Your chalk board paint ideas are super. I especially like the lamp project.

Design Esquire said...

I love all these ideas - so child (and adult!) friendly. Anything that fosters creativity is a good thing! I can't wait to see how Max's room ends up.

Marija said...

I am totally in love with it in the office especially. I also saw it on a refrigerator initially paneled to match the kitchen cabinetry and it looked great! Perfect for family notes/lists! Marija

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Thanks for having me today! I love your blog and watching your gorgeous projects...so glad I found it last year! Janell

1 Funky Woman said...

Well, you know how much I love what you have done, since I gave you a shout out in my blog. I have told a couple friends that we should do that in their son's room. They are warming up to the idea. I would still like to know how you clean yours, please tell me your secret!

Megan

Kathysue said...

I love Janells blog and I follow it and I too look forward to each post I open. she is very talented and I love her do-it-yourself attitude. Nice to see her on your blog Lauren, Happy St Patty's day to you both,Kathysue

Stina said...

Nice to see all the pictures. I like it.:-) Stina

MFAMB said...

super awesome. i am about to start a project where i paint a huge armoire in chalkboard paint. should be amaze.

Brittany said...

Have you ever used Chaulk Markers? Love them. They come in many colors, look like caulk, only no mess or smears. You have to use a babywipe or windex to remove it. Lovin your caulk wall with all the frames!

LindsB said...

Janell is just full of good ideas- I go to her blog everyday and am inspired to use chalkboard paint, sew my own pillows or curtains or do just about anything. She is so talented and super sweet- what a great guest post!

Living It At Home said...

I think I am bitten by the chalkboard bug too! I have to find a place for it in my home! Looks so great.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

~jamilyn

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

How fun to see Janell over here on your blog! (Love her!) And these are really cool ideas. Great post! :-)

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ya know...I thought I had seen enough chalkboard paint (Lord knows I have used enough in my house alone) But your ideas take it to a whole new level! LOVE how you put the blank frames over the chalk wall and write INSIDE them. Clever, clever, clever...off to check out your blog!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Janell has totally convinced me to use chalboard paint in atleast two rooms in my home! I can't wait to start!

Destination Seaborn said...

I enjoy reading Janell's blog! Her fearless use of chalkboard paint has inspired me to use it in a very non-conventional way...around my fireplace. Lisa

Kelly said...

I love the chalkboard paint stripe on the wall. Such a great idea! I recently used chalkboard contact paper to organize my entire pantry: http://ourportlandfoursquare.blogspot.com/2010/02/pantry-overhaul-organization.html

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

wonderful post :)

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

LOVE the chalkboard paint in the office and combo'd with empty frames! GREAT idea!! Thanks for sharing...

Lots O'Luck today!
:D Lynda
http://nyclq-focalpoint-blogspot.com

Emily A. Clark said...

I love Janell's blog! She knows how to use a can of chalkboard paint like no other :)

Anonymous said...

I havent ever tried this... This is awesome!! Love the use of chalk board paint.. Must try this for sure!!

The lamp idea is surely new..

Pauline Wiles said...

Janell, you know I love your blog, but I had missed the lamps project so was pleased to catch up here!

KIND BY NATURE said...

Really like your blog, so many beautiful things and pictures:-)

Jennifer said...

We turned a bunk bed into a loft bed, and painted the entire underside in chalkboard paint. The kiddo loves it.

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Hi! I've just started a new blog and I must say that you've helped inspire me to do it! I love you mix of vintage and contemporary/scandanavian pieces and while my own home is currently styled a little more traditionally, that's definetely the direction I'm heading in. I just became a follower too!
http://thepaintedhive.blogspot.com.

LiveLikeYou said...

Ahhh chalkboard wall-my son will be thrilled! What a fun idea! Maybe I can get him off flame paint job he wants all over his walls...

La Dolfina said...

We have a plain door in our garage leading into the house we painted in chalkboard paint. We leave messages for each other and inspirational quotes, or occasionally a new vocab word.

pve design said...

Sure brings out the "inner student" in me, raising my hand so I could write on the chalk board. Now in our schools are "smart boards!" I love technology, but give me a good classic chalkboard and chalk, hey even a black-top on a hot summer day is my kinda fun!
pve

Anonymous said...

Great post. I used chalk board paint on one of our kitchen walls a few years ago, but made the mistake of applying it with the spray can version...oooppps, yeah don't try this at home folks, the stuff goes everywhere. If it is going on walls, it MUST be applied using the "paintable" version, not "sprayable". Of course you could use it on smaller projects outside with a spray can. The kids love it so I painted a wall in the playroom and a door in my sewing workroom.

nelya said...

I particularly love the application on the lamps, very clever! We have two walls in our boys' playroom painted with chalkboard paint. This was done years ago when this stuff was still toxic and especially stinky. But the result is fantastic. Now I have an itch to paint a wide stripe of that chalky black somewhere in my house. Un oh. ;0)

carlee {deliciously organized} said...

I have loved watching her use all the chalkboard paint! Her sons room is amazing...

La Dolfina said...

Hi Lauren,
I just had to stop by and thank you for your sweet comment and the congrats you left for our son on my blog. That was so very kind of you!!
It seems literally like yesterday that my son looked like your little guy... it really does go by quickly. Enjoy your little boys... they are the best!!

MaryBeth Houlihan said...

so cute. i love all the examples you gave!

Erica Cook said...

Fun stuff... Great blog! :)

angela | the painted house said...

Ooo, ADORE the chalkboard band in the kid's room. I keep dreaming about doing something with chalk...but what? I think my hesitation is my whole texture-freak-out thing--ha! More than you wanted to know! You know, nails on the chalkboard type thing. :)

traci zeller designs said...

I absolutely adore Max's room! My fear about chalkboard paint is the chalk dust ... yuck! ... but it is fabulous looking!!!

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to try chalk board paint somewhere... Now I have so many inspiring ideas of where! Fabulous projects for this post!
~Rainey~

Jacci said...

We did an ugly metal door in chalkboard paint and now it's one of our **favorite** things in the house so far. Young House Love featured our chalkboard project not too long ago - here's our post: http://homeforthebetter.blogspot.com/2009/12/style-injection-kitchen-door-project.html

Love the wall with the frames around the chalkboard paint. Chic :)

~Jacci