The Ghosts of Halloween Past: Advertising Mascots

Every year we have a crazy adult (if you can call us "adults") Halloween party with a theme. We usually start at our house & then get a limo out into Georgetown where the streets are mobbed with costumed-people. I just LOVE IT!!!! (This year, being pregnant, I just wasn't up for the crazy night out, so we had a fun kiddie one instead.) But, I thought I'd share with you one of our past themes: advertising mascots. The first one up is the Sunmaid Raisin Girl:


The box of raisins inspired the whole party. I've always thought my friend Lindsey looks like the Sunmaid Raisin girl & would always suggest she dress up as her for Halloween. Then, I thought of all the other advertising logos & how my other friends could dress up as them. Here's Lindsey, aka "The Sunmaid Raisin" girl in her costume I made from Goodwill finds. (The bonnet is the sleeve of a red button-down shirt and her corsette is from a suit.)



And next is Chiquita Banana:Marcela's costume is AMAZING. She paper mache'd the basket on her head & meticulously glued all the fruit down. She was such a trooper & it stayed on all night!!!! I made her dress out of cheap t-shirts from Michael's:



And here's our Chiquita's husband, Juan Valdez:



Billy, AKA "Juan Valdez" actually made his entrance to the party by knocking on the window and handing in a cup of coffee... It was perfect!!! The mustache got a bit crooked as the night went on & Billy is just hysterical:



And who can forget the Land O Lakes Butter Girl?
Mo was adorable!!!


And even though she's underage, we decided to let the Morton salt Girl join the party.
Erin was perfect! Check out that little mary-jane-clad foot kicked up just like the real Morton Salt Girl:
And we can't have a party without the beer! (ok, we totally can, but let's just pretend! ;)


Here I am as the St.Paulie Girl with a costume made from Goodwill finds:
(I'd originally tried making a "Chicken of the Sea" costume but it was just way too hard to walk around in!) And of course my husband, Sam Adams, was there to help host:

Here he is posing with his friend The Quaker Oats Guy (married to the Morton Salt Girl- what an age gap!! shocking!! ;):
There were a few more gusts I don't have pictures of .. argggg.. Anyway, we've had lots more of these crazy parties & I'll share some more next year. I can't tell you enough how much fun I have on Halloween. We usually start planning in September and my best friends & their husbands come in from out of state. Everyone stresses like crazy about not "having a costume" and in the end they always look awesome. I'm so lucky to have friends who will go along with my silly plans & I love them for it.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!
xoxo,
lauren
ps- the hanging scarecrow wasn't visible at night so no one noticed it (phew! ;) and the kids loved the ghost & taking pictures with him.

21 comments:

mb said...

So cute, and your friends are great sports to dress up like that. What a darling St. Paulie girl you made.

I just realized that you live in suburban DC. DC is a great town. My husband and I lived there for 7 years. Our three girls are all born in DC.
This time of year it is so pretty.

I don't visit nearly enough. Miss it.

Now living in Dallas,
Marybeth

Janean said...

refreshingly original!!!! too cute.

micah said...

Great costumes and love the theme (I am in advertising). Happy halloween!

Velvet and Linen said...

Too funny!
Happy Halloween Lauren.

xo
Brooke

nelya said...

Brilliant!

Gypsy Heart said...

How fun! You are so creative with the costumes...and great friends to join you. Thanks for sharing!

pve design said...

Was "Mrs.Butterworth" there? I always loved her.
...and what about Uncle Ben's Rice? But I bet he only stayed a minute....
Very fun party!!
pve

Betsy said...

It's been fun looking at the costumes in this post. This was just a neat idea.
Betsy

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Very cute costumes! Hope your Halloween was a safe and fun one.

xo,
cristin

Haven and Home said...

Great idea for a themed party! Hope you had a great Halloween!

LindsB said...

That is such a great idea for a theme party! My friends and I were thinking of themes last night for parties and we totally forgot this one, I'm going to have to save it for my use because its great!

Fargerike Dagny said...

Love it!! Fantastic costumes!!

My Dog-Eared Pages said...

What a great, adorable idea! Love it!!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Lauren- all so cute!

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

How fun!!
I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award! Please check out my blog for all the details!

Maria Killam said...

Your costume is the best, but I'm totally biased of course :)

Alicia B. Designs said...

These are just TOO CUTE! I have nothing more to say b/c i'm in love!

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said...

Oh my gosh, those costumes are amazing and so creative. I think I just got some ideas for next year :-)

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! I love it and I'm gonna totally copy it next year. This year we are doing a Clearance Costume Party. It is this weekend so that everyone could buy their costumes on clearance!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! I love it and I'm gonna totally copy it next year. This year we are doing a Clearance Costume Party. It is this weekend so that everyone could buy their costumes on clearance!

nannykim said...

wonderfully cooooooooool ideas!