What happens When you Try to Bake a Cake and Build Fence at the Same Time

Well, my new computer's not working & it won't let me get online so that's why I've been so MIA. We're going to return the computer & try for a new one tomorrow.


In the meantime, I wanted to share with you some pics from Better Homes & Gardens (they really are getting to be great, aren't they?!!!) The image above shows a lot of what I'm craving: pattern. And I'm usually not into it on drapes, but I have to say this is just the look I'm going for in a client's home right now (existing completely-solid furniture staying) and am considering for our bedroom. Below is the living room and I'm loving the vintage map! Again, I'm loving the energy & freshness in this space... in particular the little blue stool with the yelllow-patterned chair.


Below is another room in the same house, and how fun are the drapes?


Here's a beautiful shot, below. I love all the energy & how time-gathered the space feels.



The homeowner used vintage scarves as curtain tie-backs. What a fun idea!! (And would also be a great way to add seasonal changes in a neutral room!)





Below, I love displaying flowers like this at home. It's so easy & interesting.




Below is some vintage jewelry of the homeowner's. Displaying jewelry is another thing I love to do. (Half the time I forget to even put it on so why not have it make the room look good?!! ;)




Below is from a different house (also BHG) and I really love how the owners displayed these paint-by-numbers ship paintings. Alone, they're kitsch, but grouped together like this, they make a big (beautiful!!) impact.





And one last final image of something that's on my mind: blue!! I LOVE this group of vintage blue glassware (below) and how gorgeous it looks against the blue in the vintage map of Cape Cod. I'll be using this color in our bedroom & I can't wait to share my plans/ pics with you!!




So, wish me luck that the new computer is able to get online!!! (I am techonology-cursed so I really need it!! ;) Also, thank you guys so much for all your sweet. supportive comments about the house!!

xoxo,

lauren


oh, and what happens when you try to bake a cake and build a fence at the same time?? you don't hear the timer from outside & you leave the cake in too long and when you try to get it out still hot from the pan to keep it from burning more, it breaks into pieces. And then you try to "glue" it back together with icing between the cracks and it's actually pretty good, but looks like crap!!! ;) ;)

xoxo

19 comments:

Daryl at Vermont Cottage said...

Looks as though BHG is trying to fill some type of cottage void left by the demise of a couple other shelter mags. That last photo, of the old radio and map above, remind me so much of my grandmother's front porch. It was almost like another room and we spent most of the spring and summer out there. She had a radio just like that right by the door that led into the house.
Nice blog!

Daryl

Romana said...

Your cake is hilarious! Glad it was still edible :) Nothing like a bit (lot!) of icing to hide the evidence! Looking forward to more progress on your home front :)
Regards
Romana

Maria Killam said...

Great headline Lauren, it made me rush right over to read your post (and I loved it)
xo
Maria

simply seleta said...

Thanks for the inspiration and morning laugh.

LindsB said...

I'm loving BH&G lately, they are getting better thats for sure! Its no longer just my Grandmas magazine but mine too!

PS- that cake still looks good to me :) mmmmm

Hope you get your computer working soon, I cant wait to see what else you have been up to!

Tracy Watier said...

Call that cake "rustic" and create a new baking trend!
I too am loving the new direction of BH&G. I've been a reader since high school (almost 30 years ago! ack!!), and have seen them make a lot of changes, but this one seems the best and most dramatic yet.

Molly said...

that cake is hilarious...but it actually looks delicious! thanks for making me laugh this afternoon!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I've been loving BHG lately. Really amazing. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves with your bedroom and everything else. I love that blue glassware you posted about. Amazing. I had some pieces of it, but it slowly broke and my collection is down to zero.

Cake always looks yummy to me! I can't wait for your phone/internet to work. I miss you!!!

Haven and Home said...

Loving the pictures, I bet the cake still tasted good right?

Maria Killam said...

I love the way the paint by numbers ship art was displayed. Groupings like that make such an impact!

My Galveston Cottage said...

BH&G has come a long way, hasn't it?! I think it's gotten better and very much stayed in touch with the times. Lauren, I know you love the pure style of white. And, now, you talk of pattern. How fun! I'm about to see 'what you've been up to." Nice to hear from you -- and to visit. -susan

My Galveston Cottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kellie Collis said...

I love those little vases and the flowers. Divine!!!

DesignTies said...

I purchased a pattered fabric for my dining room window and, while I'll definitely make them, I'm afraid! :-) Yet there's a part of me that knows they'll look as fantastic as the ones you found in the BH&G mag. Lovely!

As for the cake... yummy! I'll be right over for a cup of tea and a slice of that cake!!

Victoria @ DesignTies

nelya said...

The first set of photos is so charming. I really like how they've incorporated bits and pieces of vintage furniture. And you are so right, the curtains are fantastic! But, my favorites are the last two shots. I want a wall of paint-by-number paintings just like that! I've just started my collection and this is so inspiring. And I just have to say, I'm in love with the map and in particular the frame they chose. Just lovely!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, it's nice to "meet" you. :0)

Pink Wallpaper said...

so you saw my cooking skills...hope it makes you feel better! great pics :)

yvonne said...

I'm also loving pattern & color lately. It's amazing what a little pattern can do for a whole room!

Alissa said...

haha- love the cake lovie!

miss you, when can i see you again?

i'll give you a buzz tomorrow.

Sue said...

Thanks for the idea in the breakfast area! I love the shades/curtains and I'm going to do that in my breakfast nook. This is my first time at your blog and I'm really enjoying it :)

Susie